Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Daylight savings.


This is pretty much how I feel about the time change:

When I bought my awesome new camera, the plan was to take pictures after class every day. And so I did exactly that for about week. Thank you, time change, for making it dark when I actually GO to class on Mondays and Wednesdays now. Oh well, maybe I'll start shooting things (with my camera, of course) in between classes and on weekends.

Last night, Chode and I conversed for about an hour an half. It was surprisingly enlightening, not nearly as awkward as I would have imagined it would have been and I felt much better about my living situation afterwards. She confessed her hatred of living with me. Apparently she doesn't hate me, per se, but she hates sharing a room with me. This is her first time, as is my first time, to share a room with anyone, much less a 11x13 prison cell. She also told me some pretty personal stuff. She's trying to get into the nursing program, but she confessed to me last night that she's doing it for the wrong reasons. She doesn't want to help people, she wants to make money. What she really wants to do won't land her a good job or gain her much money. Secretly, she wants to write. She told me all about a story she's been writing for approximately three years, and it sounded pretty decent.

I realized her and I were in the exact opposite position.

I want to write and take pictures for a living. I realize I'm not going to make bank, but it's what I want to do. I'm going to be poor, but I'm going to be doing what I love.

You see, I'm not exactly a fan of the whole "Occupy" thing that's recently become a world-wide phenomenon, but I did go on the other side of campus the other day and witness some protesters causing a big scene. I didn't exactly feel welcome, so I didn't stay for long, but it was definitely an experience I'll never forget. I took a few pictures, and even one that I was somewhat proud of. It's of (what I'm assuming is) a mother and her infant child on her shoulders in the midst of all of the chaos. 
That's what I want to do with my life. Document and photograph the world change around me.

Let's hope it works out.



I hope when I'm 115-years-old, I want to reflect on my life and think to myself, "damn, I was a bad ass and I did some awesome shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment